Monday, February 13, 2012

American/British

A conversation I had with almost-11-year-old J while we walked to school this morning - we were discussing different countries that speak English, and he said he was glad I was American.  I asked why.


J: The British accent is so *makes international hand symbol for foppy/gay*  Right?

Me: I guess to Americans.

J: American accents are like, *makes fake gang symbol with his hand*  Yeahhh I get a hamburger!

Me, attempting not to laugh at him: Well you know you learn British English in school, right?

J: No I don't!  My teacher is American.

Me: Okay, but you learn British vocabulary and spelling.  I've seen it in your homework.

J is very disappointed to hear this.


On an unrelated note, sometimes when the mother is late to come home she brings me a pastry or other treat.  This is what she bought me today; I haven't tried it yet:

3 comments:

mjcburton said...

Is that apple or pear? And what are the little dark things on the top? It looks good, and I'm sure you appreciated it!

A said...

Pear, and those are mini chocolate chips. It was a gateau with a flaky crust sort of thing, a layer of chocolate, some more crust, then the pear/chocolate/powdered sugar topping. It was quite good!

tpb said...

Well the dessert looked good, and with choc chips, I would have gone for it, but a pear just kills it for me!!!

I'm glad he likes that you are american, as it would be hard for you if he DIDN'T appreciate that. You are still the favorite of all times for him, I am sure