Tuesday, September 11, 2012

St Malo: the Sequel, day 2

The day after arriving in St Malo, my mom and I went to Mont St Michel, and she's taking care of that post.

So the rest of the St Malo stuff will be the day we left to come back to Paris, Sunday.  We had about half a day before our train, so we did a bit of exploring and shopping.

Exploring:


Shopping:


We inquired into the mystery of why Franklin & Marshall College stuff is sold EVERYWHERE in France.  The lady in the store was surprised to find out the F&M is a rather small and unknown university in the US because for some reason they've cornered the market on university stuff in France.  French young people love having US university-looking stuff because French universities don't make shirts, sweatshirts, hats, etc, like this.  It's trendy.

Anyway. 

Next we stopped at the museum of the history of the town.  It went through St Malo from the Middle Ages, when it was mostly a fishing village, through the pirating times around the 17th and 18th centuries, and finally again became fishing and tourist based.

The museum is housed in the town hall, which used to be the main fortress.






It's just inside one of the old doors into the city.






Since St Malo has always based around sailing the museum had a lot of stuff like this giant anchor:



And it also had a good amount of pirate paraphernalia, like chests, guns, and of course, some booty.





After the museum we didn't have much time so we wandered outside the walls again, but this time it was high tide.  I had fun climbing around the rocks and hanging out with a seagull.






And then we headed back towards the docks to catch our train back to Paris.

So overall this was a very cool trip, to see things I had seen before but got to examine in more detail, and spend some more leisure time there.  One of the best things about it, though, was being able to be near the ocean again: I've often said to people that the only thing I dislike about living in Paris is being so far from the sea, and St Malo/Mont St Michel definitely helped me with that.  I do get homesick once in a while, especially for the ocean.  I think this is one reason I enjoy this area so much.

2 comments:

tpb said...

i have put in place a plan to DISPLACE f7m from the Parisian clothing scene, and replace it with ADELPHI UNIVERSITY clothes. Let's see how that works out!!!

I love the post and the pictures (again, I probably seem like Bill as I think that is all he spends his time looking at)

bdaniels said...

I like seeing the area at high tide that we had seen at low tide a couple posts ago. As usual, it is all interesting.