Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Google Maps is even better than you thought

While I've been sick and not going out and exploring much I've been reading a lot.  Sometimes in the course of doing historical reading and research I check out Google Maps to put places in their geographical context - in this particular case I was looking at the movements of last week's featured Marguerite of Anjou in the beginning of the Wars of the Roses.  Her main base of operations at that time was Kenilworth Castle in central England, and I went to Google Maps to see where it was.  I also often go into the street view to try to get a visual feel for places.

Anyway, while taking a peek at Kenilworth Castle I realized that the "street view" actually goes into the castle grounds, and you can basically take a virtual tour of the ruins and gardens!  That is awesome.  I also checked out the nearby Warwick Castle and the same thing is true - you can see the castle and the re-made gardens up close.

So if you have a few minutes to spare and happen to be interested in looking at things like that, check those out.  It's pretty interesting!

No comments: