Tuesday, June 28, 2011

First day of class...too hot

We had our first classes today - in a smallish room with no air condition, at least 90 degrees outside and high humidity.  One fan.  Classroom door closed, about 20 people in the room.  Ahhhhh!

Anyway, my classes both seem interesting and I like both of the profs.  The first one is very intense and doesn't want us to do anything (including the final paper) in English, but he delights in the guillotine almost as much as I do!  We're even having a whole lecture on the history and usage of the guillotine.  A trade off, I guess.  He is assigning us a lot of work but I'm getting some of it over with tomorrow - all these history classes start off with the French Revolution so I'm always stuck with presenting during one of the first sessions.  It doesn't look like any guillotines are involved in the readings.  :(  (The class is on violence in French society, so I was rather disappointed.)

The second course is on the antillais (ugh, I'm sorry, I can't think of that word in English - is there one?  Caribbean is too general.) and Haitian diaspora.  The prof is antillais himself and I'm kind of excited to get acclimated to a new accent, although his is not strong.  I'm also hoping we'll do some work with Creole, that would be interesting!  We're mostly reading fiction works and personal essays for that class, which is a major change from history/sociology/politics/anthro works we read in other classes.

Also, hi Financial Aid people!  I'm glad to see you're here!  :)

I edited this because it seems like the linked picture was giving some trouble?  Not sure, but I took it out.

2 comments:

mjcburton said...

Are you referring to the Antilles Islands? The Greater and the Lesser?

A said...

You know, from Martinique or Guadeloupe or one of the other French held Caribbean islands.