Saturday, December 10, 2011

Misc

First - I've been working ALL THE TIME for the past two weeks, so I'm sorry about the infrequent posting.  With working that much I don't really have time to do and/or write about many interesting things.  This coming week, starting Monday, I'll be working long hours for 7 days straight and then flying back to NY the next day.  This weekend I'm going to make a concerted effort to get a bunch of things done before my time is consumed for the following week.  That will include a lot of non-blog stuff but I do want to do another tour of the markets and lights, and go to a concert/Mass at Notre Dame on Sunday.

Second - I went to BHV while I had a short break today and passed by the Hotel de Ville.  You will recall that in my post on the lights, theirs were not set up yet.  They appear to be set up now but as it was during the day I couldn't really tell.  Anyway, I took a picture of the carousel (which is always there, it's not a Christmas thing) and the sad ice skating rink.  It hasn't gotten much below 42 or so here in Paris - unseasonably warm even for here - so it's like half melted.  I bet there are lots of disappointed Parisian kids around this month.



Third - Questions from last post: No, I do not accept Arts and Crafts as a translation for Arts et Metiers.  "Metier" is a word people use to talk about someone profession - specifically the skills needed for that profession, especially if it's in the arts or some technical skill.  So in the sense of "craft" as in, like, an old-school guild mentality it might work, but to English speakers the connotations of the phrase "arts and crafts" is very, very wrong for this kind of thing. 
No, I haven't been to all the museums.  I've been to the Arts et Metiers, one fine art museum in the 3rd, the Carnavalet, and the Jewish museum.  I think the locks and keys one might be interesting but to be honest I am creeped out by old-fashioned porcelain dolls so probably will not be visiting the doll museum.

Fourth - I am seriously considering retiring the blog after I get back from NY in January.  I started this blog the first time around to stay connected with friends and family - to keep people updated and be able to look back on the things I did.  When I was traveling a lot and going to lots of new places I did it more for me, so I could have a place to keep pictures and details.  Now I am doing really going to a lot of new places and such so the function here is more to stay in touch, to feel more connected to the people who are so far away.

However, if anything, keeping the blog recently has been making me feel more disconnected than ever.  I know it's annoying that I keep going back to this, but I rarely get any feedback and most of what I do get is from my parents!  (Not that I don't appreciate it, parents, but it's rather lame of me to be keeping this mostly for you guys.)  I'm aware that more people read than ever tell me about it, and that some people read sporadically.  The thing is, it's rather depressing to sign in here and see that it's only had a small number of page views in the last few days (not today; I assume most people look post-weekend) or that posts I've spent a lot of time on have initiated very little response.  It indicates to me that either people are not that interested in what I'm posting, or that the posts aren't interesting enough to get a response.  Of course I also understand that a lot of people don't want to make public comments and whatnot - but my email address is on here.  I like to know that people are at least somewhat invested, and that the time and effort I put into these (like going around places, taking pictures, uploading them, writing the posts...) is worthwhile.

On the other hand, I will have more time to do interesting things after I get back in January.  So maybe the blog will be more interesting if I continue afterwards.  I'm kind of torn at this point.  Thoughts?


Fifth - the father of the family I work for gave me a very nice bottle of wine (he doesn't like white, but I prefer it).  It's Alsatian.  Once I tried traditional honey mead, which was very sweet and indeed tasted a lot like honey; this wine tastes like honey mead mixed with wine.  It's actually very good.  Just thought I'd share!

1 comment:

bdaniels said...

I like that carousel. Reminds me of the one in Watch Hill, RI.

As for you retiring the blog, I would miss reading it, but I know it has to take a lot of your time. As I have said before, I really do enjoy hearing about things I will never get a chance to see.

You are going to be very tired working long hours for 7 days. I hope you can get some rest when you get home. You will be able to have some of the foods you miss from home, but then you will miss the food of Paris.

Have a good trip and a Merry Christmas.