Thursday, December 15, 2011

Windows at Galeries Lafayette

Yesterday I took M to see the holiday window displays at the Galeries Lafayette. While not as elaborate as the ones at Bon Marche - they were mostly animates puppets, not videos or anything like that - they were probably more fun. 

The ceiling above the walkway.


Each of the windows had a scene with these figures that appear to be Japanese-inspired robot/puppets.  They were not as creepy as that sounds.  A lot of them were scenes of the puppets as a rock band and they played Christmas music (rock style of course), played their instruments, and danced.  Some of them were just the puppets hanging out, rocking to Christmas music.

The pictures are poor quality, sorry.  I didn't have my camera with me and often couldn't get very close, not to mention the inevitable glare.  I hope you can kind of make them out.










M really liked them and thought they were super fun!  There were a ton of kids watching so they seem to have been successful.

Also I just wanted to say I'm sad that this guy died.  Any English speaker who has been to Paris has probably been to his bookshop, or at least heard about it.  He lead a really interesting life and kept up the tradition of writers and artists in my neighborhood.

3 comments:

mjcburton said...

Sad to hear about Mr. Whitman. I have heard of his bookstore. Our paper wrote an article this past year about the store and his daughter, who runs it now. They interviewed her, and it was very interesting. I still want to get to that bookshop. Angie, put that on your list, along with the little bookshop you like so much.

Not the best pictures, true, but good enough so we can see how they look. Thank you for sharing these windows with us! These scenes are very involved for being there such a short time. I guess that's what brings people, though.

Kerry said...

The dolls are a little creepy for christmas... Not a fan!

bdaniels said...

Our paper had a short obit/article about Mr. Whitman in yesterday's paper. I read the headline, but not the article, so I had to go dig the paper out of the recyclables to read it. I guess that will teach me to read things with a Paris byline. Maybe Angie will know about it.

The windows are interesting, too. Probably fun to see in person. Thank you for the pictures.