Saturday, January 26, 2008

the National Guard will be harder to catch

Everyone in the program is at different levels in their French study: only 2 people are somewhat close to fluent, and several have not had any French at all. We are all taking French classes at the Sorbonne, but obviously will be in different levels. So, yesterday we took a placement test there, which turned out to be harder than I expected. It wasn't that difficult, but I assumed it would start with easy stuff and get harder...but no, it started out with those little annoying grammar rules everyone hates. Quel, or lequel? Where should the indirect object go in this sentence? Meh.

There was also a section of really open-ended complete-the-sentence type things like, "These films are distinguishable by their..." or "Give him/her something that...." Kind of annoying, but it was short and I did well on the speaking part. With any luck, I won't get the 8am session.

After the test a bunch of us went to the Louvre, my first visit since I've been here this time. The group I was with wandered around the objects d'art area, where they keep personal (well, if you're royalty or something) smaller collection pieces. There are a lot of things like jewelry boxes, crucifixes, medallions, tapestries, furniture, decorations. I really like that part of the museum.

Anyway, I'm about to go search for some English bookstores to get some stuff for my independent study. I'll probably be in the Latin Quarter all day, which is fine by me! I found an awesome crepe place there the other day - it sells Moroccan and Libiyan inspired crepes that are yummy and pretty cheap. Tomorrow I actually have to do homework!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Angie, I've enjoyed reading all your posts, sounds like you're having a good time, I asked your dad when you would be applying for French citizenship!!! Uncle Bill