Thursday, January 24, 2008

tuesday, i think

I'm a little behind again, sorry.

So for some mysterious, bureaucratic reason I wound up getting my 2nd choice for electives at AUP. That wouldn't have been a terrible thing if that class weren't at 5:00 on Fridays. (Did I already say this? I feel like I did.) Monday and Tuesday I tried to do an add/drop thing to get into my first choice, which is more interesting and at a better time. The times I got for Monday turned out to be wrong, but I found a really good boulangerie near the school, so, yay! I also randomly ran into another girl from the program who was trying to add/drop but got the wrong times. We sat on the steps outside some St. Pierre's church and discussed our weekends. She apparently is also discontent with most of the people in the program, so likes to wander around by herself, as I do.

There were two concerts I wanted to attend on Tuesday, but one happened while I was again waiting for add/drop (this time with success!) and the other was sold out. I saw that it was at the Théâtre Champs-Elysées but for some reason it didn't click in my mind that this was kind of a big deal concert. So I went there in the afternoon to get tickets, but there weren't any.

The Champs-Elysées area is, as most probably know, a rather upscale part of Paris. The theater itself is on Rue Montaigne, which is a little away from the more touristy Avenue Champs-Elysées, and there are signs proclaiming that street Paris' Madison Avenue. Which it totally is. There were major designer stores everywhere and very fashionable people carrying tiny little dogs. Also, it is Fashion Week in Paris! Meaning all kinds of fashion/non-fashion/celebrity types are here, and most are hanging around this part of town.

The theater is surrounded by upscale hotels, and many of these people must be staying in them for the week; I saw more limos and bored chauffeurs than I've ever seen in my life. There were also quite a lot of paparazzo hanging around, and while I was walking back to the Metro they were all excited about someone exiting a hotel. I couldn't see who it was.

Later I was in the Marais checking out some cafes when I came out of one near the St. Paul Metro stop to find a film crew and lots of Parisians milling around. They looked rather excited, for Parisians, so I assume it must've been some French movie star filming or something.

No comments: