Tuesday, March 18, 2008

frisbee, mountains, and bockbier

Saturday my cousin's friends came to visit, but before they got there we decided to make a giant breakfast. There is a nice little market in the square near his apartment that he'd never really visited so we went there to get food. We wound up having strawberries, Nutella, bananas, fresh bread, cereal, eggs, and some sort of yummy sausage. Wow. I actually have a picture of it if anyone's interested.

We took a long journey to his work in an attempt to print out my return tickets but were unsuccessful. I did get some nice pics on the way, though.



After picking up his friends (one of whom studies at Jena! And knows the Burschenshaften!!) we climbed up a giant hill with very nice views



and a very Baroque church at the top (at least the inside..yeesh)



There was a cafe there so we sat and had a beer and looked at the pretty views. This is apparently what Germans do, according to my cousin. And then down the hill for a doner (yummy Turkish sandwichy thing - there are a lot of Turks in Germany and they brought their lovely cuisine) and, obviously, some beer.

It was at this point I learned about bockbier, which is, I think, a Bavarian specialty and is thicker and stronger than other beer. They told me the limit even for German men is 4 (which is 2 liters of it, by the way). We had it at this place that has the best name ever, if you can imagine it in German: Schloderer - with an umlaut over the o. It just sounds great.

After a game of frisbee the Germans got some pizza (pizza?!), and later we set out for somewhere to hang out. All the big beer halls were pretty full so we ended up back at the Schloderer place where a traditional Bavarian band happened to be playing! You know...lederhosen, accordians, oompah band. It was pretty awesome, but the Germans thought it was lame. Oh well.

1 comment:

mjcburton said...

Great pictures, especially that second one. It looks like a post card or calendar picture. I wish I could have been there myself.