Friday, March 7, 2008

general updates

This week Paris decided it was going to get cold again. Colder than pretty much all of February. Holly warned me about this early on: Paris likes to lead people to believe it's going to be spring soon, but in the beginning of March it always tricks them and gives them all colds. Sneaky. So like I've said, I really wanted to go to Versailles but the cold rainyness has put off those plans.

I haven't been doing much wandering around at all this week, to be honest. On free museum day (last Sunday) I did, but it's been yucky out since then. I had a French test yesterday that I actually studied for, and I've been tired from lack of sleep.

In better news, I've discovered a really good, relatively cheap but sort of chain-type cafe near my Sorbonne class that is perfect for getting coffee and breakfast after phonetics. You can get a large coffee or hot chocolate and a mini baguette for 2.85, which is really good.

I keep aiming to get to the National Library (maybe even apply for a research pass!) but every time I go I wind up not having enough time before closing to check out the visiting policies. I did get down to the Opera again, though, and found out they only sell student passes in September. So if I want the student discount tickets I have to go to the house on the day each opera's tickets go on sale and line up - some people begin at 4am. Other than that, I can go the day of and try to get standing room or leftover tickets. That usually works in New York, so I think that's what I'll try. If not I guess I won't be going; the cheapest regular tickets are 70 euros and most of these operas I can see in NYC.

Hm, what else...phonetics is over for the next week, hooray! I love the class but don't love its earliness. The cat is in heat again and likes to wake me up at night to hang out and meow. I'm waking up at 5 tomorrow morning to get to Strasbourg and determine once and for all if Alsacians are French, German, French-German, German-French, Freman, or just bipolar. The people I'm going with want to walk a few kilos while we're there to cross the German border but I'm going to Bavaria next weekend anyway...so we'll see.

I'M SO COLD!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what about Gernch?!?!?