Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Je préfère le métro

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I just haven't really had anything to write about!

No, I have not been traveling as some supposed.  I'm just hanging around Paris, mostly trying to get everything settled before I start working.  Many of my friends have been leaving Paris as well so there have been a lot of going away dinners and such.

Yesterday I hung out with some people I've never met before - the mother and sister of my cousin's fiancee, whom I have not met, either.  We went to Montmartre to walk around and have lunch.  They were very nice, and the best kind of travelers: very flexible, up for wandering aimlessly and changing plans at the last minute.  They're only here for about three days so they obviously can't do a lot while here but I think they'll have a good visit walking around and going to museums.

One thing I found a little strange - and I've heard it from a few people now who have come to visit Paris - is that they were wary of going on the Metro because it seemed complicated.  To anyone thinking of coming here: take the Metro, it's your friend.  It's pretty cheap, very quick, and one of the easiest subway systems in a large city I've ever used.  All you need to know is your destination, what line you're taking, and which direction you're going.  Compared to most subway systems it's much easier and more efficient.

Consider, at least, the NYC subway: we have multiple lines of the same colors on the maps, express/non express trains as well as the secondary lines of the same letter/number and the ones that run express sometimes and local other times; multiple lines using the same tracks; trains that will sometimes run on another track for just a few stops.  It's legendary for scaring off tourists.  But none of those things ever happen here - it's always one line, one color/number, one track with a set route.

Speaking of the Metro..I am obviously a Metro person myself.  Besides walking, it's the only way I ever get around Paris (I've taken cabs a total of twice ever besides going to airports).  Until last night.

Aurelien and I planned to see a movie a fair distance away from both of our apartments.  He said we'd meet at mine, since it's closer, and go from there.  Fine, I assume we'll take the Metro - but no!  He is not a fan of the Metro.  How does he get around?  On a bike.  Well, you might say, a bike is pretty normal, and a perfectly fine mode of transportation.  I wondered how I was supposed to go with him, but he said he had a bike that can hold three people.  I assumed that meant he'd gotten a scooter (it's the same word in French), one of the kinds with a really long seat so people could sit behind him.

I was kind of excited to go on the scooter but when we got to it...no, it's an actual bike.  Not a tandem bike where all the people riding can pedal.  Just, a large bike with places where people can sit while he pedals.  In other words, it's completely ridiculous.  I can't really find a picture of anything like it online but it's sort of like this:


There is a similar shelf sort of deal behind the seat where another person can ride (or two small people I suppose).  But also imagine where you might put a basket on this bike - in front of the handlebars.  Imagine another shelf thing there, and imagine I am the basket.  Yes, that is how we got to the theater. 

Obviously there was some squeaking and shrieking from me - it was scary! - until I got used to it, then I mostly just started cracking up at the looks people gave us.  I don't think I'll voluntarily do that again but it was certainly an interesting experience.  It was actually pretty fun going downhill!

5 comments:

tpb said...

I laughed out load at work when I read about the bike!!! Get him to use the metro next time!

Bill said...

Angie (aka Cindy Lou Who), I'm glad you got to meet Megan's mom and sister, thanks for taking them around, sorry you'll miss the wedding, maybe we'll see you at Christmas, enjoy your time in France, I enjoy your blog, your favorite uncle Bill

Anonymous said...

I too love the Paris Metro and it is really easy, safe and fast. I'm not too much of a fan of the NYC subway system but have mastered it to a small extent.

Your biking experience sounds so great and I can just imagine your screams--especially given Paris traffic!

We all can't wait to see you next month when you come back to visit.

sm

DNineMoons said...

Hahaha that sounds a-maz-inggg. I'm glad you didn't die because that doesn't really sound safe!

I loved the metro, it is undoubtably so much simpler than the NYC subway. I don't know how tourists get around NYC with all the chages and construction they do on the weekends!

Kendra S. said...

Hahaha, omg I love that you rode on the front of a bicycle. You are the coolest. It brought to mind an awesome scene in l'auberge espangole, too. miss you! <3 k