Friday, August 26, 2011

Who needs friends?

Me, maybe.  Not sure yet.

All my friends from NYU except one have now left Paris.  The one remaining one is here basically until he finds a job in New York - his father lives here so he's staying here rent-free until he gets a real job.  With his qualifications I doubt that will take too long; he'll be here until October at most.

Friend #2 is of course Aurelien, who goes AWOL at times and has his own group of friends who actually speak the same language as him.

And..that's the entirety of people I know in Paris at this time. 

A friend from high school is visiting briefly at the end of October, and a couple of others are planning to visit over the next year as well.

So it's really hitting me now that I'm going to be here for the next year with one or two friends at most.  People keep saying I'll probably make friends but honestly?  Where would that happen?  I don't really think I'll meet other au pairs, although I guess I could end up meeting interesting people in my language course.  I'm not really one to just go out to bars or whatever by myself so I think it's unlikely I'll just meet people randomly. 

It's a good thing I'm not a terribly social person to begin with because I'd probably go nuts, but it's nice to have people to hang out with once in a while.  As of now I think this is what I'm most apprehensive about for the following year: I'm worried I'm going to end up being either a big loser and not do the stuff I want to do, or I'll just be lonely. 

One of my friends who just left suggested joining one of the many ex-pat meetup groups that are here.  It's an idea, but I'll probably only do it if I get desperate for company.

So in the future if you see me online too much or I seem like a shut in, please start bothering me to go out more!  It might take getting shamed into it.

No comments: