Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A few random pictures




J had a cooking class in Boulogne, a town just outside Paris but accessible on the Metro.  It wasn't really anything special but it had a pretty little park next to a church that I think was a monastery sort of thing.  Boulogne itself was kind of suburb-y but with a lot of big apartment buildings.  Sort of like some areas of Queens I guess.




The view as I walk from the Metro, and an adorable little restaurant next to the back door of my apartment building.  I haven't gone there but it's just so cute!


As I walked back from taking M to school today I saw this near their apartment.  Yes, it's a truck full of halves of dead cows, some of them just hanging out over the street.

2 comments:

mjcburton said...

I like that first building, the one with the green cloth hanging on it. What was that all about? I see on the right there is a table set up, like someone is selling something? The building's proportions are very nice.

I was always surprised after being here with all the regulations about food to find open-air exposure of food there that would never be allowed here. The bees buzzing inside bakeries and walking on the sweets, the flies on the meat and fruit, etc, never seem to faze the French. They just brush them away like they always used to do here back in "the old days".

A said...

There was some fundraising function going on for what I gather was a monastery that is affiliated with the church. I assume it was a monastery because they kept referring to "the brothers."

There are not nearly as many food regulation laws here, which makes sense because they would absolutely kill a lot of traditional French food and hurt the food culture. Think of how many things are handmade fresh every day (like in the bakeries), and if they had laws like those that exist in the US many of those shops would have to drastically change their food-making process. For example, the cheese would be completely ruined with our pasteurization laws!

It seems to me like the French food culture is one of the most stubbornly traditional in Western Europe, and it's definitely more of an old school mentality when it comes to handmade products. Eat at your own risk!