Sunday, October 9, 2011

Nouvel appart

I moved about a ten minute walk from where I lived over the summer.  I still live in the 5th arrondissement, but now I live a bit farther from Rue Mouffetard and the Luxembourg gardens, and closer to the river and Notre Dame.  Basically I moved from one side of the Pantheon's hill to the other.

I absolutely LOVE the position of my new apartment: it's within easier walking distance of pretty much all the things I go to a lot (besides the catacombs) and is a good Metro placement for other things.  I am a 5-7 minute walk from Notre Dame, the same from Place St Michel, an area of tons of fun restaurants and shops, and now in the definite heart of the Latin Quarter.  It's also a lot quieter because my windows face a courtyard and I'm on the 7th floor.

The downside is that this apartment is really tiny and not terribly well laid out.  The main area is a bit bigger than your average single dorm room I suppose (my doubles were much bigger) but I also have a little kitchen and decent sized bathroom.

The main area.  It looks messier than it is - you can see the aftermath of installing my modem next to my bed, and I still haven't quite figured out what to do with my suitcases.  The closet door is broken (you can see a piece of the frame fell, on the left) but it is good-sized and I have a lot of shelves.



There is about two and a half feet of space on either side of the bed.  About two feet from the end of the bed is a little table.


There's the infamous beam.  I've only really banged my head on it once so far.


On the left is my washing machine, and the glowy white thing is actually my dish drying rack.  Across from that is my little stovetop, and between the beam and the washing machine there are cabinets.  You can see a bag of sugar keeping the door from slamming shut in the wind (you can also see the wind had just knocked a bunch of stuff down to the floor in the bathroom!)


Shower area.  There is not curtain but it's set up so that it doesn't really get everything wet.  But everything gets absolutely covered in steam.


View from the bathroom window.  Pretty, eh?


I'm not completely sure but I think the beige building is the nearby church St Ephrem.  They do a lot of great classical concerts but from the street it's hard to tell exactly what the top looks like.  To the right of that is Montparnasse Tower, the only skyscraper in Paris.


Look closely the the corner formed by the chimney and the roof - you see the church there, with its flying buttresses?  That's Notre Dame.  I hear its bells every hour if my windows are open.  And sometimes when they're not.

2 comments:

psdan said...

Enjoyed seeing the pictures of your apartment.

Anonymous said...

Your apartment views are beautiful. The Cara Black novel "Murder in the Latin Quarter" contains all the street names in your neighborhood and I can imagine you there!

The beam looks dangerous. Amazing that just like the food the regulations are very different than here in the US when consumers are protected even from their own stupidity.

SM