Saturday, May 17, 2008

yay for comments!

Bonjour mes amis! Wow, I was not expecting so much commenting! But thanks, I love it, it makes me feel good about writing this! I especially love the ones in French :) This will inspire me to update more frequently (I hope!)

Okay, so I have a couple of visitors for the weekend, two friends from Ithaca who were studying in London this semester. Now they're backpacking across Europe for a month, even to a few places I've never been! Paris is their first stop, and neither of them have been to France before. I'm excited to be giving them the grand tour as I'm eager to see their first reactions to all the sites!

They came yesterday evening when most things were closing, but the Louvre is free for students of Friday nights, so I took them there to explore for a couple of hours. I had a rendez-vous avec un francais that I almost forgot about, but I sent them off with directions to the Eiffel Tower and back to their hostel. (One of their goals was to see the Eiffel Tower at night.) They're lucky because today all the municipal museums are free!

She called me today with their list of things to see and turns out they really want to go to the catacombs...which of course I have no problem doing twice in one week! They also want to see Napoleon's tomb (in Invalides), Notre Dame, the Arc de Triomphe, Sacre Coeur and maybe Pere Lachaise today, because tomorrow they want to spend most of the day at Versailles. Eeee. Ah well, I'll get a quick refresher on both Paris tourist traps and avoiding gypsies! And of course I have to think about the best cafes, where they can get good French-type food that isn't too expensive. Not hard around Notre Dame, I guess, but what if they're hungry as we're on the Champs-Elysees? I got permission from Aurelien to roll my eyes and go, "Tourists!" because I'm apparently now "almost French." (Aurelien, who insists, by the way, that he was not a tourist in NYC, but rather a "traveller" ["voyageur"])

I'm continuing to work on the pics, but there are soo many! Right now the Basque pics are looking easier, as I only had batteries in Bayonne and have a total of about 40 pics.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you like all the comments. I asked some people to post stuff, and it appears they came thru!! I hear you guys had more public employee strikes this past thursday. There is another big one planned for this coming thursday, so watch out. Lots of people are commenting to me about your catacombs post. Maybe we will get a new one after your second visit. See you in 2 weeks.