Thursday, May 1, 2008

something i wrote about an hour ago

I'm sitting beneath the Castello d'Este in Ferrara, on one of the protective walls around the moat. It's 9pm, gorgeous out, not quite dark but getting there. The moat is rippling a little in the breeze and it makes the castle's reflection a bit ghostly.

The castle is really quite impressive: it's huge and brick with four towers, and all the windows have rich red curtains. It doesn't seem to have changed much since it was built in the 14th century, but I suppose I'll find out when I go there tomorrow.

I'm writing this now because it's so beautiful out and I don't want to go back to the hostel yet. Despite the passing people and cars, and the implications of the castle itself, it's a very peaceful scene.

There is a very small church across from where I'm sitting, but I don't think it's the d'Este one; earlier today I visited the little convent church where Lucrezia Borgia, along with others, is buried, but it wasn't open. Tomorrow.

It would be nice to be the curator of a place like this castle. Not a museum; I'd rather be in a monument, a place where history occured and the evidence is all around.

It's getting a little chilly so I think I'll go. It's just so peaceful I don't want to.

No comments: