Sunday, April 20, 2008

library time again

There’s something relaxing about sitting in a library, surrounded by books, going through them, reading bits and pieces, and listening to music. I should be really stressed out right now – I don’t have anything written and little research done – but I’m not. I faced much worse than this at the end of last semester. I’m listening to the “Lux Aeterna” movement of Duruflé’s Requiem taking a little break from reading native accounts of the conquest of Mexico, and it’s all very peaceful.


I suppose I sound a little crazy saying I don’t mind doing this sort of work while I have Paris around me, but it’s really not bad. For the moment. I expect within another 3 hours or so of doing this I’ll start freaking out a little bit.


The AUP library is not that great: it’s only 3 floors, has very few computers and even fewer places to plug in laptops. The catalog isn’t very extensive and I could find very little on what I was looking for. Also my computer won’t connect to the AUP wireless; I’ll have to deal with that tomorrow when I have more time. I’m writing this in Word right now and will post it when I get home to my wireless. There are no closed-off little alcoves where I can sit out of view of passersby and spread out my books, like there are in the Ithaca library.


Those were the places where, at the end of last semester, everyone hung out in a giant group to write papers, research, and provide moral support. Distracted as we were when we were together, it was helpful…mostly it helped to keep us sane, I think. But everyone also bonded quickly and easily (I don’t know if Priyam still reads this, but I hardly even knew her before finals last semester and now she’s one of my very favorites!), and we all had a good time.


I find myself wondering if they’re all doing that this semester – right around now, actually. Maybe it will start in a couple of weeks. And if they do, I wonder if they will miss those of us who left – I think three of us who were regulars in the Library/History Club are abroad this semester. There are some replacements, I understand, but I can’t imagine they’re cooler the originals :)


Anyway, it would be nice to have you guys around at the moment even though I have nothing near the finals load of last semester: I just have this paper, due Monday, a final essay exam in 3 weeks, and then my French final. But just to let you all know I’m thinking about you!

No comments: