Saturday, April 19, 2008

plans for italy

In other news, it's spring break at the Sorbonne! I have that large research paper for AUP due Monday, but after that I'm practically free for two weeks. I'll be leaving for Italy next Friday and going to Milan, Bologna, Ravenna, Ferrara and Venice. When most students go on spring break to Italy their main objective is going to beaches, visiting the Colosseum, or riding around the countryside on a Vespa. I, however, have entirely different intentions, and this is why I am going alone. (No one freak out here - it's okay. I consider myself a fairly seasoned traveler at this point and am perfectly capable of looking after myself.) I'm sure I could've found people to come with me to Milan, Venice, probably even Bologna, but it would not turn out to be at all the kind of trip I've been wanting. So here's a rundown of what I plan to do in each city - and anyone who knows Tempesta can blame all this on him, as his descriptions are what made me want to see these places.

Milan - Far from going to loads of fashion shows (although that would be cool, it's not a priority) I will be hitting the main points of interest for historians and artists. My main reasons for going here are that it was (along with Ferrara) the main base for the Sforza family during the Renaissance (so there is an incredible palazzo there), there's a ton of Da Vinci stuff there (including the Last Supper and a library full of his sketches), and La Scala, the Milan opera. I probably won't get to see an opera, but I will certainly tour the house and hang around before/after one. There are also a ton of interesting churches, and I hope to find a mass with Ambrosian chant (as opposed to Gregorian, but I won't get into that). Here's a pic of the sort of ridiculous cathedral, the Duomo, started in 1386 (2nd largest Gothic cathedral in the world, 2nd biggest in Italy only after St. Peter's, 2nd highest - poor Milan):

Bologna - Home to the oldest university in Europe (yes, older than Oxford - this was founded in 1088) and the alumni alone make it a worthy trip for any intellectual: Dante, Petrarch, Thomas Becket, Erasmus and Copernicus all went to the University of Bologna. There are many castles and tons of churches/basilicas for me to geek out on. Also the site of the legendary Guelph/Ghibelline struggles.

Ravenna - Oh, what can I say about Ravenna? So few people have heard of it, and yet it was once the capital of the Western Roman Empire (Justinian moved it there. And everyone knows my deep affection for that inventor of stairs, electricity, and everything). In this very small town there are no less than 8 World Heritage sites, all of them churches/mausoleums/basilicas. It has by far and away the best collection of Byzantine mosaics in the world; they are absolutely incredible. Anyone with an interest in art needs to see them. Dante is buried there.

Ferrara - While not that well-known, anyone who has heard about Italian politics or the Renaissance knows Ferrara. It is the quintessential Renaissance own, with large ducal palaces, squares, and great art. It was the seat of the Sforza family, who were second only the Medicis in terms of art patronage and political power. It is still a walled city and has the feel of that time. Also Lucrezia Borgia is buried there, and I've always had a soft spot for her.

Venice - Okay, this one I don't need to explain much. Canals, Venetian glass, San Marco square...yeah. Also has an incredible early instruments museum.

So looking at my outline I'm sure it's evident why I don't want people with me: who would want to do all the history/art stuff when there's Italian sun to be had? Well, I don't intend to miss out the sun, but this trip is a nerd's fantasy come true.

No comments: