Wednesday, April 16, 2008

my first visitor

My mother was here last week from Weds on, and so I spent a good deal of the time wandering around Paris and the Ile-de-France. Over the weekend we went to Chartres and Orleans but I didn't take my camera since hers is so much better. When I get the pics from her I will put them up here.

While she was in Paris we mostly walked around interesting areas like the Rue de Rivoli (sort of like Paris' Broadway, except fewer theaters and generally a bit classier), the Marais, St. Michel, the Champs-Elysees area, and of course where I live. She found an awesome gargoyle, probably my favorite one she has - she collects them. It's large and heavy and it's a little squatting dragon that's sticking out its tongue. So cute!


I spent a little while worrying about my term paper for Latin American Lit, but my professor decided to push the whole thing back until Monday! Life is good.

The weather was generally bad, but it is gorgeous today. Figures. Out my window the skies are blue with big puffy clouds and it is sunny; three or four days ago, while my mom was here, there was a violent hailstorm.

Hm, what else? I mostly took advantage of her visit to eat good food: I got desserts, some groceries and tried Ethiopian food! Multiple attempts were made to get to Monoprix but it never worked out. Why does everything close so early?! She also bought me a pretty scarf, a necklace and some harp strings for Isabelle, my new/old harp. We saw a slightly underwhelming exhibit in the Petit Palais on Goya's days as an engraver (here's the palais)


and I showed her some of my favorite churches. Such as St Denis (which I've already posted some pics of):



and Ste Clothilde:


Though we didn't do a whole lot in Paris, it's nice to wander around with someone who appreciates the city as much as I do, even after having been here a handful of times. There's so much to love here even aside from the regular tourist sites; just the atmosphere and lifestyle is perfect for me and so intoxicating (well, except the whole closing early thing).

No comments: