Saturday, April 19, 2008

springtime in paris?

Is a dirty lie. Sure, everyone says Paris is beautiful in the spring, there are many gardens to walk around, and how easy is it to picture French people in berets strolling down the Champs Elysees while everything around them blooms? Well, I've come to the conclusion it's all a big conspiracy: springtime like that does not exist in Paris. In fact, Paris weather is only marginally better than London weather, and everyone knows what a reputation (and it's well-deserved) London has.

The only nice thing about Paris weather in the spring is there are lots of chances to see rainbows. It changes so quickly between rain and sun here that I've seen several in the past couple of weeks.

What else is going on...not much. I haven't been sleeping well. I'm notorious for how restless I am when I sleep, and it's not unusual for me to completely undo the sheets, pillows, and blankets on my bed and even wriggle out of clothes; today I woke up and my comforter was entirely out of the duvet cover, something I've never managed to do before. Sometimes I wonder if I do things like that on purpose while I'm sleeping. Hmm.

I also bought my first junk food. That's right - I have not bought junk food of any sort since I've been here (as real food is generally cheaper and more delicious) but yesterday I picked up a can of Pringles. I'm a little ashamed, but they're so yummy. The packaging makes me wonder, though, what is normally in potato chips that they feel the need to declare on the package that these are "suitable for vegetarians"?

No comments: