Tuesday, April 1, 2008

really trying to not call this entry "london calling": fail

Okay, so I've been really bad with updating recently. I've been traveling a lot and when I'm here in Paris I have to catch up on what I missed while traveling.

I went to London this past weekend, and it was definitely the most relaxing trip I've taken yet; I saw a friend from Ithaca and we pretty much just hung out all weekend, didn't really do touristy things and were not on a schedule. I got my sushi and Thai food fixes, two things I have been craving for weeks. We saw a really good show on the West End called "The Woman in Black": it was a horror/suspense type of drama, and very well-done. The cast was really just two men, the set was simple and versatile, and the story was exciting. At a few points, audience members actually screamed.

The show also had the most entertaining intermission I've ever experienced, but only because I am a bad person. There was a school group (I think?) of middle to early high school age kids that were possibly Welsh, but I suspect it was a boarding school from different areas. Several had chav accents, some Welsh, and some just weird. A disproportionate amount of them wore bemusing and unflattering outfits and did strange things. Nearly all also had heaps of unnecessary hair in extreme bedhead-type styles. Anyway, they were enormously entertaining to watch, but there were also the people behind us loudly asking one another about herpes, the kid in the silver blazer and matching pants in front, and to the side a man with crazily gelled hair and a very pointy goatee. I'm not doing this any justice, but the whole sequence of the intermission I kept thinking it couldn't get any more ridiculous, but of course it did.

My friend and I also went to the National Portrait Gallery for her art class and walked around the Tower of London in the very cold rain on Saturday, and strolled around the city for one of the nicest days I've ever experienced in London on Sunday. We looked at the art sellers outside Kensington and walked around Hyde Park. Then came several misadventures I'm not sure I want to go into now, but in general the weekend was great. The only touristy pics I took were of the Royal Albert Hall because I don't think I've ever taken pics of it before:


I'm still working on the pics from my Eastern European adventures, but don't worry, they're coming.

2 comments:

aniRAM said...

loved the observation ....

"heaps of unnecessary hair"

Is the media, as usual, adding fuel to "The Torch" protests?

A said...

Yeah, of course, but then again the French do love to protest. Unfortunately I was in class for most of it, but it was a pretty big thing, with people demonstrating all over the city.