Friday, February 15, 2008

a bunch of random stuff because my life's been boring lately

Some of my habits have changed quite a bit since living in Paris. I make my bed every day. (YES, that is NOT a lie!) I tidy my room every morning. Both of those because I never know when Catherine or Aurelien will be in there.

I'm addicted to Nutella. I eat it at home sometimes, but I've already gone through multiple jars here. By myself.

I eat oranges and clementines. Most people at home know I don't really eat citrus fruits - especially oranges. I have no idea why I eat them so much here. But they are a good snack and really delicious. And fun to peel. My right thumbnail is perpetually orange and smells like oranges.

I actually stop to talk to those people on the street who try to sell you things/tell you about stuff/make you donate money. Mostly to practice my French. I even told one of them the only reason I was talking to him was to practice my French. Interestingly, he was not offended.


I've been keeping a mental tally of strange people I've seen in Metros and such. First, let's go with hair: there was a white lady with a GIANT fro in a church the other day. It was like 80's perm sort of frizzy curly and I'd say at least 3 times as big as her head. She was also tiny. Then yesterday on the RER I saw a mullet. A real, live, French mullet! It was on a guy and not terribly long. I'm rather amazed he hasn't been stoned or something by now.

Finally: why don't French Chinese places call their food by Chinese names?!

No comments: