Thursday, February 7, 2008

tidbits

Okay so maybe I lied a little bit about a bunch of new posts. So here's some random observations about my current life in Paris:

There are 8 different types of cheese in the apartment refrigerator at this moment. That's right, 8. And they are all delicious. One of them is mine but I can't figure out which. In fact, I only know what two are for sure (the Brie and Roquefort), so I just eat bits of all of them when I can. I've been living by the sage advice of my dear former roommate: unless the mold is pink or red, you can eat it!

Aurelien scared the crap out of me today while I was at home by myself innocently writing my paper and petting the cat, who likes to hide under my covers. The walls are pretty thin here, you can often hear other doors opening and closing around the hall. I heard one open and didn't think anything of it, then all of a sudden a voice is speaking to me in French right next to me. I nearly chucked my book across the room. I didn't recognize him immediately, either, because he now has a full beard as opposed to the scruffiness of last time I saw him (he's been in London for a few days). He was quite amused by my kind of ridiculous reaction - but I was really into the Borges! Hmph.

Other fun things, let's see...oh, so I mentioned I'm reading Harry Potter in French? Well, I haven't gotten too far yet, but have found some amusing things. Professor Snape is Professeur Rogue. A little more revealing than his original name, hm? The other professors have remained the same, but many other names have changed (ex, Draco Malfoy -> Drago Malefoy). Magic wands are "sticks of magic". But by far my favorite is the Sorting Hat: in French choix means "choice" and chapeau is hat. What is the Sorting Hat in French? The Choixpeau!

No comments: