Wednesday, February 6, 2008

reason #7,218 i love the french people

One of my biggest pet peeves in life is when people clap at the wrong times at a concert. I'm even in a Facebook group called "Don't clap between movements or before the song is over, moron". If one cannot be bothered to look at their program to see how many movements a piece is, or does not pay enough attention to know which movement they are on, what are they doing at a classical concert?! How hard it is to watch for when the conductor and performers put their arms down for real?! Ack, it upsets me.

Anyway! The French don't do this! Really! Ever! I've been to a whole bunch of concerts now and have been astounded every time. I have never heard someone clap between movements. AND the clapping at appropriate moments is never hesitant - they always know when to clap! I'm a little baffled at this phenomenon, though...do they teach it in school? Is it required that the French go to a certain amount of concerts so that they develop a clapping intuition? Intriguing.

No comments: