Thursday, February 14, 2008

j'ai commencé mon cours à la sorbonne !

Right, so that pretty much is it. For all you non-French speakers, I started my class at the Sorbonne.

It's two hours long every day, and every other week I also have an hour of phonetics every day. It's pretty intense, but I've already learned a lot in just 3 days. The professor is very smiley and nice and always speaks clearly, which is helpful. It's a class for all foreign students, so we all have to speak French to each other. There are around 12 people, one of whom is in my program - Dmitry, who is the type of guy no one really likes but they cling to him because he puts himself in the middle of everything. He's sort of loud and acts very confident and cool at all times.

It's sort of funny because seeing him in class is really different from how he is outside of class; he constantly will answer questions in English, then realize how dumb that is, then get really red and cover his face. He likes to answer questions but is very hesitant about it and gets embarrassed when he screws up. The contrast between class and outside of class amuses me.

The building I have class in is right by the river on the Left Bank, in the Latin Quarter, next to St. Julien le Pauvre. It's just a block or so down from my favorite spot, where St. Severin's church and the Abbey Bookshop are. I usually get falafel or a crepe after class and sit in the park by St. Severin's to eat and read. It's the best location I could've hoped to have for my class, as it's close to that stuff, close to a bunch of Metros, good shopping, and mostly anything else I might need. There's also enough time so that I can walk from my French class to my AUP class when I have it, and it's a nice walk along the river across from the Louvre, past the Musee d'Orsay and the Eiffel Tower. It would take me a while to walk there from home, but on a nice day I could do it.

I have class at AUP this Saturday, which is annoying. I think we get like 2 Mondays off during the semester so they decided to have a make-up class on Saturday. Boo.

1 comment:

mjcburton said...

Gee that sounds idyllic! How can we sign up?