Friday, February 29, 2008

free fall

I haven't been doing much the past few days. As you probably surmised from the last post, I was sick. I got sicker that day and continued being sick until about yesterday.

AUP's spring break is next week, but my Sorbonne phonetics course starts then, too. So I trade about 3 hours of class in the afternoon for 5 hours at an ungodly hour of the morning (aka 9:30), and also have my regular Sorbonne class. I'm kind of unnaturally excited for phonetics, though, because I'll be able to just listen to French and practice. Which is my idea of fun - don't judge!

I'm going to Brussels for the day tomorrow, but most people in the program are not going. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but I know others are traveling, and Brussels is close enough anyone could really do it on their own time. But when we go with the trip we get passes for museums and such, and good food. So I prefer to go with everyone.

The weather this week has been rainy and grey and generally depressing, which nicely enough has gone with my mood. Even so far away I still get sucked into crap that happens back home. I'd probably be in trouble if Paris weren't all around me, but it is so I'm good. (Also some people are pretty awesome, like Devorah who randomly sends pictures of kittens!) I saw an ad for something in the Metro the other day that was sort of comforting: it was something like, "Paris has only one secret, that she knows not those who arrive or leave, but she is always here for them." Of course it was a lot nicer and elegant in French, but I can't remember at the moment exactly what it said. Maybe next time I'll take a picture so I can translate better.

Regarding the title, who knew a TWoP writer could be so insightful?

No comments: