Monday, February 25, 2008

this entry is dedicated to carol

My ever-loving [former]roommate. For reasons that will become apparent.

I stayed up really late last night for no particular reason other than I felt weird. I still managed to get myself up and to the Metro so I'd only be a couple of minutes late for class, but I didn't eat anything and felt quite shaky. So I'm sure everyone can guess about where this is leading: a dramatic "low blood pressure event"!

The closer I got to class the worse I felt. Even "Hit 'Em Up", which my iPod played at an opportune time, couldn't make me feel better. I continued to feel icky walking through St Mich, to the point where as I walked by St Severin's church I decided to go in and sit. At the point I realized "Hit 'Em Up" is probably the worst possible song to be listening to in a church. So I turned it off, feeling very sacrilegious as there seemed to be a priest gathering offerings, too.

After sitting for a minute I got up to walk around (it is my favorite, after all) and made it to the front alter when I felt I should sit again. I did for about a second before passing out - right before the alter. I'm sure it looked to anyone that I sort of stumbled toward the alter and collapsed; it's a good thing St Severin's is not pentecostal or something or I might've been attacked by The Spirit.

I wasn't out long and saw the priest running over. Of course I had also forgotten that I was in the middle of Paris - you know, where they speak French - and I tried to reassure him in English, which only distressed him more. So then I switched and told him I was just sick, it's all right, and I was going to go home. He seemed uncertain and I think he might've blessed me but I thanked him and left.

I thought about going to class but decided it probably wasn't a good idea. Instead I went to a yummy Libanaise crepe place so get some food before heading home - which was a strange journey in itself.


On the way I got a text message saying my phone kept sending some mysterious other person empty texts. Which is bad because texts are not cheap on my plan. After some discussion I realized it was Holly.

Then I rounded the corner to my apartment and ran smack into Josh, one of the Brits I met the other night. We had the usual conversation of, no I'm pretty sure my phone lies when it sends my number because I really do have a 0 - are you sure? - yes, really, try it - well I'm late - okay, so when you call put in a 0 - are you sure? - YES.

I finally got into the building and found the kitty running around the bottom floor. She's not supposed to do that and she knows it. It took a while for me to catch her, not being the swiftest today. She was mad at me and it was a bit of a challenge to take her in the elevator without being scratched to death.

Then my iPod went back to Hit 'Em Up.

No comments: